Apps for Parents
When you’re a busy parent running around after your Little Pickle/s, time is precious – so we’ve put together our ten tried and tested free apps to give you a bit more of an easier life…and maybe even allow you a bit of time for yourself – provided you can get the pickles to nap on schedule.
- Mush – described as ‘tinder for mums’, is a site that enables mums to meet with other local mums in the area. Motherhood can be extremely lonely so if you’re looking for playgroups to attend with your little pickle or other likeminded mums to hang out with then have a look around this fab mum directory! You can download the app here – App Store or Google Play
- Doodle –when there’s a group of you, no one can ever make the same date. Doodle saves a huge amount of time going back and forth. Set up a poll with the date range, select the dates you can do and then send the link out to your friends. Once all participants have completed the poll, the most popular days are flagged up and ta-da that’s the date sorted – and you don’t have to be the one to pick one friend’s availability over another. Win! Get it from the App Store here and Google Play here
- Just Eat – when you’ve had a busy day and the thought of slaving over the oven is not that appealing, reach for your phone and order in your dinner instead. Everyone deserves a treat night once in a while! App Store user? Get it here. Google Play user? Get it here
- YouTube – whether baby is a few days old or you’ve got a wayward toddler then Youtube will be your saviour. Load up white noise for those times you’ve forgotten to pack Ewan or your myHummy sleep aids, pop on ten minutes of Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly for those days when you can’t face anymore ‘But, why mummy?’ questions or search out some educational games for when you need to get the dinner cooking! YouTube comes as standard on most smartphones but if you need a reminder, download here.
- First Year – this app makes tracking daily activities a piece of cake! It’s ideal if you’re trying to keep, or establish, a routine with easy to input feeds/naptimes/nappy data logs. You can even track developmental milestones as well as growth charting. It also comes with a handy ‘notes’ section which is ideal for making notes to chat to Health Visitors about – or simply to remind yourself to do something later in the day! Get organised by downloading on App Store.
- Healthier Together – as a parent, there are so many worries through pregnancy, birth and beyond. The Healthier Together app allows parents to symptom check or receive advice from healthcare professionals. No more scare searching on Google! You can download Healthier Together on the App Store here or Google Play here
- Baby Buddy – what better endorsement is there than one from everyone’s favourite doctor?! Dr Ranj says ‘this app really is what I call the future of healthcare’. Designed to guide mums-to-be through their pregnancy and the first six month of baby’s life, boasts a virtual expert who you can ask a question to at any time of the day or night, daily chunks of information tailored to your stage of pregnancy or age of baby, input your upcoming appointments with reminders and there’s even a ‘What does that mean?’ section where you can find out what a word means. Download on App Store or Google Play
- Canva – ever wondered how people get lovely fonts and motifs over images without paying a designer? They’re more than likely using Canva! This app has pre-set templates that are editable or you can start from scratch with a photo upload and drag and drop your chosen font over. So whether you want a fancy Instagram post, a new facebook cover photo or maybe a blog post heading then this is the app for you, download here.
- Life cake – there’s no doubt your phone camera is stuffed full of pictures and videos from pregnancy, early baby days through to toddler and beyond, so wouldn’t it be nice to be able to share all of those photos with your selected friends and family from all over the world – in complete privacy? Introducing Lifecake! And what’s even better is that it puts all photos into date order, so even if you’re not organised – it will organise it for you. Share your link with people you want to be able to view it; no more forgetting to get photos developed for auntie Mavis, she can view them all at her leisure. App Store it here or Google Play here.
- NCT Babychange – we all quickly get to know our local town’s facilities and can quite easily navigate one-handed to the nearest baby change or mother and baby rooms, but what happens when you experience a poonami in a new area? This is where NCT Babychange comes in! It not only shows you where the nearest place is to your current location but it also features honest ratings from mums who’ve been in the same situation as you previously – so you can pick and choose which one you clear up the explosion in. There’s got to be some silver linings! App Store download here and Google Play here
Written by Jess from Prosecco Mum, you can follow her on all the socials below