First Christmas Present Ideas
Having children at Christmas brings with it a whole new magical dimension; there’s nothing more special than your baby’s first brush with the festive season and all the glitter and lametta that it brings!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year so for babies first Christmas do you go for practical gifts to be played with or personalised keepsakes to be looked at from a distance? Do you put money into a savings account for when they’re older or do you go all out and fill the tree with gift upon gift?
Below is a range of gift ideas for babies aged 0-12 months – with a budget to suit all;
- My 1st Years do a wide range of lovely personalised items; one of our favourites is this pull along caterpillar which can have up to six letters printed on it to give it that extra special touch.
- Photoshoot – around Christmas, many photographers offer ‘mini’ sessions so you can have professional photos done of your little one – you could then make them into Christmas cards or printed and framed as gifts.
- Toybox – you’re bound to get an abundance of toys so why not treat your little one to a toybox to keep them all in?
- Sophie the giraffe – are you even a parent if you haven’t succumbed and purchased this glorified dog chew toy?! You can get Sophie on her own boxed or in various gift sets with smaller teethers, rattles and a book. If baby is still gummy, it will be a saviour when those pearly whites start making their appearance.
- Personalised teddy bear – What baby doesn’t love a teddy bear to snuggle up with? If you’re looking for a bit more of a keepsake gift as opposed to an everyday teddy, the Steiff range includes soft bears as well as classic and limited edition bears…which come delivered in a beautiful box too.
- Books – It’s never too early to get your children into books! Usborne do a great range of ‘Baby’s Very First’ and ‘That’s not my…’ which have touchy feely bits on them. Or you can never go wrong with timeless classics like The Hungry Caterpillar or Guess how much I love you.
- Musical instrument set –there is no better sound than a baby laughing at the shaking of a maraca or tambourine or the joy of watching them bash a stick to a little round drum. Note: maybe buy yourself some ear defenders!
- Sensory toys – most toys get put into little one’s mouths or just held in in their little fists so ensure the toy you pick has got a bit of texture to it. Whether it be a light up cube, a crinkly cuddly, a bobble ball or a baby-safe mirror, you won’t go far wrong.
- Stacking cups – a pretty inexpensive toy, but one that is loved by all children. Babies enjoy banging them together to make noise or knocking them down, once they’ve been stacked up for them. Later on they can be used to hide toys under and play ‘peek-a-boo’ with!
- Hand /feet prints – there are many craft centres who offer hand and feet paintings on to pottery. Why not get a trinket box, coaster or butter dish printed with babies hand print?
- When celebrating such a monumental event as a first Christmas, it is perfectly acceptable to go completely OTT, so buy up those ‘Baby’s first Christmas’ vests, babygros and bib sets…heck buy the full Santa/Elf costume too!
Though babies first Christmas is a milestone event to us as parents to them they will be more interested in the boxes and wrapping paper than the gift that is inside! We’re holding a number of markets in December, why not pop down and see if you can pick up some new/nearly new bargains at a fraction of their retail price?
Written by Jess from Prosecco Mum you can find her on all the socials below